Above all else, the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden is dedicated to the preservation of the Earth's natural resources. We are proud to invite members of the community that share our passion to join our team as a volunteer. Ages 14 on up are encouraged to become a part of our volunteer team. Whether you are interested in plants, animals or people, we have an opportunity for you! For specific questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (405) 425-0275 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teen Volunteer Opportunities
Junior Curators Program
Interested in what goes on behind the scenes at the Zoo? We are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic teens to join our programs. Selected teens volunteer with keepers and staff to see what it takes to run the zoo and inspire the next generation.
- Junior Curators are selected once a year.
- The 2016-2017 JCs have already been selected.
- The 2017-2018 application period will be April 1-29, 2017.
- Junior Curator FAQs
Scout Eagle and Gold Awards
Are you a Boy Scout seeking your Eagle Award or a Girl Scout seeking your Gold Award? Partner with the OKC Zoo to develop a project that will help you earn your award and improve the Zoo!
Adult Volunteer Opportunities
- Click here to download a list of opportunities.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must attend orientation and recruitment session.
- Orientation begins at 10am followed by interviews.
- Held in the Rosser Conservation Education Center.
- Applications available only during orientation.
- Subject to background check, TB test and drug screening.
- Must abide by the Personal Appearance Guidelines.
Animal Area Volunteers
Assist Zoo Keepers with their animal husbandry duties. Work behind the scenes to help clean, and maintain our animal exhibits and enrich the lives of our animal residents. A perfect fit for those looking to get experience in the field of zoology. Please note there is no unauthorized contact with animals!
Use your green thumb to help our Horticulture team maintain our accredited Botanical Garden. Learn from our garden masters as they care for our 110 acres, including an onsite green house.
Do you enjoy talking with people about animals, nature, and conservation? Do you enjoy being outdoors? Join us to create extraordinary experiences for our guests as an education volunteer! You, too, can become a community conservation leader and educator. Please note: All new education volunteers must begin their service as an ambassador.
Haunt the Zoo Volunteers
In October, we celebrate Haunt the Zoo for Halloween and are looking for energetic volunteers for this “spook”tacular event in the evenings from October 26th thru the 31st.
Our Group Volunteer Program offers organizations the opportunity to participate in the hands-on work of keeping our Zoo in top form. Learn more about registering your group for a project.
Community Service Volunteers
We are unable to accept volunteers seeking to fulfill court-appointed community service hours.
The Oklahoma City Zoo offers internships for college students in a variety of study areas within the Zoo. This opportunity allows students an opportunity to learn essential skills and gain hands-on experience in animal husbandry, horticulture, conservation education, museum studies, or marketing/public relations. If you have any questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (405) 425-0275.
- Spring 2017 semester-The spring semester application deadline has been extended until October 31, 2016
Summer 2017 semester - Deadline is February 15, 2017
Fall 2017 semester - Deadline is May 15, 2017
- Available for clinical (4th year) vet students and post-graduate veterinarians.
- Length: 3-6 weeks
- How to apply: Please send current resume or CV, at least 2 references, and a list of preferred dates to Dr. Jennifer D’Agostino at email@example.com.