The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and team oriented individual to join the Carnivore care team to maintain the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through the implementation of departmental activities and staff training. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
The Animal Caretaker of Carnivores position is responsible for maintaining the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry, operant conditioning training and enrichment. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff and the public. The ideal candidate will have experience in the assigned taxa which may include native Oklahoma species, small and large felid, canids and bears. In addition, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
Animal Caretaker of Carnivores Essential Duties:
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas and equipment.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors and reports animal behavior changes and medical issues.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the assigned area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, psychology, zoology or related field.
- Two (2) years’ paid experience working with related taxa at an AZA Accredited Institution.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must obtain a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license (within thirty day of hire) and pass Driver’s History check to be eligible to operate Zoo vehicles including: golf carts, lawn mowers and motor vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test
- Ability to pass annual TB Tests.
This is your opportunity to be a part of a distinguished and advancing organization in a remarkable area. Please send cover letter, resume and references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First Consideration Given to Applicants that apply by 02/21/2019