The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120 acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests. The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is financially strong, and is actively implementing an exciting master plan.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate team member to join the Elephant/Rhino team in caring for 2.5 Asian elephants and 1.2 Greater One Horned Rhinoceros. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
The Animal Caretaker maintains the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry and interacts with the public and enhances visitor experiences. Under the direct supervision of the Curator of Pachyderms, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff, and the public.
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas, and equipment.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors, and reports animal behavior changes and medical problems.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the area.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Three (3) months of experience working with animals (volunteer work included).
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
- Ability to pass annual TB tests.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Loretta Canon, Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email Humanresources@okczoo.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received by March 21, 2019