The part time buildings and grounds team member performs a variety of housekeeping and grounds duties in and around assigned Zoo exhibits and facilities. This position ensures that the public and team members enjoy a clean and safe environment.
- Performs General Housekeeping and grounds duties throughout the Zoo.
- Assists guests and provides excellent Guest Service.
- Performs a variety of general cleaning and sanitizing duties to maintain public restrooms, buildings, and grounds. (e.g. vacuuming/scrubbing floors, washing windows/equipment, dusting furniture, emptying trash containers, trash/litter pick up.) Hosing down ramps/patios, sanitizing restroom facilities, clearing pathways, sidewalks, parking lots, and drives.
- Assists with various minor building maintenance/repair duties. (e.g. stripping, waxing, and buffing floors, carpet cleaning, changing light bulbs, and painting.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and supplies used for cleaning work.
- Knowledge of a broad range of gas powered and/ or electrical equipment including, Vacuums, carpet cleaners, Leaf Blowers, power washers
- Knowledge of general building maintenance methods and practices, including painting, and floor stripping, and waxing.
- Knowledge of SDS and blood borne pathogens.
- Knowledge of the policies, practices, and procedures of the buildings and grounds department (to be acquired within thirty days of hire)
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Oklahoma City Zoological Park to be acquired within sixty days of hire).
- Skill in following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in cleaning and maintaining buildings, facilities, and exhibit areas to present a neat, clean, and pleasant appearance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Zoo staff, vendors, and the public.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays.
- Ability to practice safe work methods, identifying work place hazards, and using appropriate safety equipment.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for periods of time, bend, stoop, and kneel, and to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Ability to push, lift, and carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Exposure to fumes, odors, dust, cleaning/sanitizing chemical agents, electrical and mechanical hazards, moving mechanical parts, and vehicles on a daily basis.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate, with occasional increases in levels caused by machinery.
- Driving around the Oklahoma City area throughout the year.
- Exposure to fumes, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts and vehicles, on an occasional basis.
- Noise level is usually quiet to moderate, with occasional increases due to large groups of people in Zoo buildings and on ground.
- Exposure to external environmental conditions, such as heat, cold, rain, snow and ice.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous animals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays and during emergency situations such as dictated by weather.
- Experience equivalent to one-year part-time Housekeeping/ Custodial work.
- High School Diploma or GED
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.