The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and team oriented individual to join the Education team to support educational programs preschool, camp, homeschool, school programs, and outreach. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
The School Youth Programs Supervisor primary focuses on school programming components including preschool, school, and school outreach programs. These components include maintaining Department of Human Services licensure for daycare purposes and maintaining Master Teacher status. This position supervises assigned education part-time staff and supports the School and Youth Program Manager and the Director of Educational Programs in development of guest experiences in order to support and model the Zoo’s mission, vision and values.
- Collaborates with School and Youth Programs Manager and other appropriate staff to develop, implement, and evaluate new and existing school programs.
- Teaches programs and maintains active animal handler status.
- Provides oversight and supervision to formal programs for the supervisor of assigned staff and associated programs.
- Models creativity and innovation in program design and facilitation.
- Ensures programs are aligned with Zoo mission, Education department goals, DHS licensure standards, ensures school programs are aligned with Oklahoma Academic Standards.
- Supports incorporation of best practices in science education in all programs: supports inclusion of NGSS science practices and STEM skill development.
- Supports education program animals Lead Caretaker with husbandry and training efforts.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in conservation activities to support Zoo’s mission.
- Fosters constructive attitudes and team orientation among staff; positively communicates and collaborates with Zoo personnel and professional colleagues.
- Drive excellence in guest interactions and satisfaction.
- Represents the zoo in a professional manner at all times.
- Creates an atmosphere of respect with peers and works as a team.
- Takes personal accountability for performing at a high level and completing all assigned tasks in a timely manner, to include meeting all deadlines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education, biological science or related field.
- 3 years of experience working in an educational setting within a zoological or similar institution including a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check and a drug test.
- Ability to pass annual TB tests.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Loretta Canon, Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email Humanresources@okczoo.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received by March 2, 2019.