The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate Animal Caretaker to join the Aquatics team in the role of Animal Caretaker or Senior Animal Caretaker. The Aquatics team currently oversees Living populations and exhibits consisting of two closed saltwater pinniped exhibits totaling 400,000 gallons a Stingray touch pool and multiple smaller marine and freshwater exhibits. The Aquatics team has a strong focus on behavioral husbandry, animal welfare, education and conservation. In addition, the OKC Zoo is embarking on a 11-acre $27 million expansion with the cornerstone of the expansion a mixed species African savanna.
The Animal Caretaker of Aquatics is responsible for maintaining the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal population and its environment through daily husbandry, operant conditioning training and enrichment and is also responsible for assisting with all maintenance of life support components and systems associated with these populations. Animal caretakers on the Aquatics team enhance guest experiences and education through daily interactions, WOW moments, stingray touch pool experience, and behind the scenes tours. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, function effectively in an energetic team environment, and possess excellent communication and organizational skills. Under the direct supervision of the Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff, and the public.
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas, and equipment.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors, and reports animal behavior changes and medical problems.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the area.
- Assists in maintenance of Life Support equipment, logs and records.
- Performs water chemistry tests and assists in maintenance of water quality reports.
- Participates in Conservation activities that support the zoo’s mission.
- Facilitates exhibit needs, water quality parameters and maintenance of life support equipment and systems.
- Animal husbandry including: food preparation, exhibit cleaning and maintenance.
Minimum Qualifications for Animal Caretaker
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, chemistry, zoology, or related field.
- 3 months of animal care experience at an AZA accredited facility (internships included)
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job posting.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
- Ability to pass annual TB tests
- SCUBA Certification or ability to obtain certification within 90 days of hire.
- Experience in water quality testing and maintaining mechanical systems.
- Experience in water quality testing as it pertains to living animal collections.
- Aquatic Animal Life Support Operator 1,2, & 3 Certification preferred
- Experience operating automated control systems is preferred.
- Ability to obtain an OSHA approved Confined Space and Lockout/Tag out Certification.
Minimum Qualifications for Senior Animal Caretaker
- Meet all qualifications listed above.
- Two (2) years of experience working with Aquatics at an AZA accredited facility.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Basic knowledge of relevant taxa.
- Completion of mandatory OKC Zoo Global Academy training, or the ability to complete the same in the first six months of employment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the OKC Zoo’s Animal Training and Enrichment Programs or the ability to complete the same in the first six months of employment
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary, starting at $12.40/hr (pay commensurate with relevant experience) with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2000 Remington Place, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email Humanresources@okczoo.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received by February 21, 2020