The Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests.
The Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate Animal Caretaker to join the Birds team in the role of Animal Caretaker or Senior Animal Caretaker. The Bird Animal Caretaker maintains the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry and interacts with the public and enhances visitor experiences. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff, and the public. The Oklahoma City Zoo’s Bird department cares for a variety of bird and small mammal species. The ideal candidate will be familiar with all aspects related to the care of birds and small mammals in captivity and be skilled in training techniques. In addition, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment. Animal caretakers on the bird team enhance guest experiences and education through daily interactions, WOW moments, and keeper chats. In addition, the OKC Zoo is embarking on a 11-acre $27 million expansion with the cornerstone of the expansion a mixed species African savanna.
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas, and equipment.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors, and reports animal behavior changes and medical problems.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the area.
- Assists in maintenance of Life Support equipment, logs and records.
- Performs water chemistry tests and assists in maintenance of water quality reports.
- Participates in Conservation activities that support the zoo’s mission.
- Facilitates exhibit needs, water quality parameters and maintenance of life support equipment and systems.
- Animal husbandry including: food preparation, exhibit cleaning and maintenance.
Minimum Qualifications for Animal Caretaker
Bachelor’s Degree in biology, chemistry, zoology, or related field.
- 3 months of animal care experience at an AZA accredited facility (internships included)
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job posting.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
- Ability to pass annual TB tests
Minimum Qualifications for Senior Animal Caretaker
- Meet all qualifications listed above.
- Two (2) years of experience working with Birds/Small Mammals at an AZA accredited facility.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Basic knowledge of relevant taxa.
- Completion of mandatory OKC Zoo Global Academy training, or the ability to complete the same in the first six months of employment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the OKC Zoo’s Animal Training and Enrichment Programs or the ability to complete the same in the first six months of employment
The Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary, starting at $12.40/hr (pay commensurate with relevant experience) with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2000 Remington Place , Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email Humanresources@okczoo.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received by March 14, 2020