The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests. The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is financially strong, and is actively implementing an exciting master plan.
The part-time Bird Animal Caretaker maintains the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry and interacts with the public and enhances visitor experiences. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff, and the public. The Oklahoma City Zoo’s Bird department cares for a variety of bird and small mammal species. The ideal candidate will be familiar with all aspects related to the care of birds and small mammals in captivity and be skilled in training techniques. In addition, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas, and equipment.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors, and reports animal behavior changes and medical problems.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the area.
- High school diploma required, Bachelor’s Degree in biology, zoology, or related field preferred.
- One (1) year of experience working with animals in a zoological setting (volunteer work included).
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
- Ability to pass annual TB tests.
This is your opportunity to be a part of a distinguished and advancing organization in a remarkable area. Starts at $11.27 per hour (pay commensurate with relevant experience). Please send cover letter, resume and references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email email@example.com.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to applicants that apply by 12/10/2019.