The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate individual to join the Carnivore Care Team in the role of Animal Caretaker. Consisting of more than 30 species and over 100 individuals, the carnivore program is a dynamic and progressive program with a strong focus on behavioral husbandry, animal welfare and several breeding programs.
The Animal Caretaker of Carnivores position is responsible for maintaining the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry, operant conditioning training and enrichment. Carnivore Team members enhance guest experiences through daily interactions and frequent behind-the-scenes tours. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff and the public. The ideal candidate will have experience in the assigned taxa which may include native Oklahoma species, small and large felid, canids and bears. In addition, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
Animal Caretaker-Carnivores Essential Duties:
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas and equipment.
- Operates exhibit yard maintenance equipment including weed eaters, edgers and mowers.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Training Certification.
- Observes, monitors and reports animal behavior changes and medical issues.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the assigned area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, psychology, zoology or related field.
- One (1) year paid experience working with related taxa at an AZA Accredited Facility
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must obtain a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license (within thirty day of hire) and pass Driver’s History check to be eligible to operate Zoo vehicles including: golf carts, lawn mowers and motor vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test
- Ability to pass annual TB Tests.
This is your opportunity to be a part of a distinguished and advancing organization in a remarkable area. Please send cover letter, resume and references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email email@example.com.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to applications received by July 11, 2019