The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and team oriented part time employee to join the Marine Mammal care team to maintain the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through the implementation of departmental activities and staff training. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
The Animal Caretaker of Marine Mammals is responsible for maintaining the welfare of the Zoo’s assigned animal collection and its environment through daily husbandry, operant conditioning training and enrichment. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the care and safety of animals, staff and the public. In addition, the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Actively participates in daily advanced animal husbandry techniques following established standard operating procedures for animal care, food preparation, and clean up, including proper maintenance and sterilization of equipment.
- Maintains and renovates exhibits, service areas, and equipment including executing underwater maintenance and cleaning of deep water habitats.
- Supports daily purposeful enrichment and documentation to promote, encourage and evaluate natural and engaging behaviors.
- Develops a basic understanding of and supports operant conditioning training for advanced behaviors and public demonstrations. Participates in Zoo wide Training program.
- Observes, monitors, and reports animal behavior changes and medical problems.
- Assists in veterinary medical procedures.
- Educates the public and provides positive guest experiences.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- Participates in collaborative efforts to research natural behaviors of the animals in the area.
- Maintains a superior level of showmanship while performing support/back-up roles in daily shows, guest interactions, and other programs as applicable.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess an undergraduate degree (preferred but not required) in psychology, biology, zoology or a related field, have at least 1-year of experience working with animals (volunteer work included) pinniped experience preferred, maintains SCUBA certification and the ability to pass departmental swim test, which includes, but is not limited to minimum requirements for treading water, breath holding, free diving and endurance.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email email@example.com.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer
First consideration given to applicants that apply by 8/26/2019.