Employment Status: Part-Time
Starting Pay: $10.25 per hour
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: Must be at least 18 years old and have some experience working with children.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School diploma or G.E.D.
Direct Supervisor: Youth Programs Manger.
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: Zoo Setting both indoors and outdoors.
Certification: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test. Ability to pass annual TB tests.
Job Summary: Engages campers through environmental and conservation education lessons that supports the Zoo’s mission, vision and values. This position helps facilitate fun and safe learning experiences with the Camp Lead to help campers gain an appreciation for wildlife and the natural world.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Assist with various camps including Zoo tours, animal encounters, arts and crafts, games and activities for age groups ranging from Pre-Kindergarten-Rising 8th Graders (4-14 years).
- Assist camp instructor, prepare teaching aides and craft activities.
- Complete preparatory and clean-up work.
- Monitor and assist children with camp activities as needed.
- Perform daily check-in and check-out.
- Provide safe learning environment.
- Maintain allergy and behavioral documentation of campers and alert Camp Lead of any special circumstances.
- Facilitate extended care games and activities with campers.
- Supervise lunchtime activities.
- Participate in conservation activities to support Zoo’s mission.
- Drive excellence in guest interactions and satisfaction.
- Represents the zoo in a professional manner.
- Required to walk, sit and stand for periods of time.
- Push, lift, and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Bend, stoop, kneel, and move intermittently throughout the day.
- May be exposed to fumes, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions, such as heat, cold, rain, snow and ice.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous animals.
* The Oklahoma City Zoo & Botanical Garden is gearing up for its 2020 Spring Hiring Event. We are now accepting applications for several positions within our Guest Experience department. Qualified candidates will be contacted as early as December 9th to schedule interviews and hiring will begin February 15th.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. Must be able to successfully complete an intense background investigation.