The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo is comprised of a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests. The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is financially strong and is actively implementing an exciting master plan.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and progressive Grounds Technician to join its Buildings and Grounds team. The Grounds Technician helps maintain the appearance and safety of the Zoo’s grounds to support day-to-day operations, field conservation efforts, and operational conservation practices. These components include, grounds and flowerbed maintenance, and pathway clearing.
All employees are expected to be sensitive to our guest’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics, reflect the Oklahoma City Zoo’s core values and to perform at company standards of excellence at all times to support and model the Zoo’s mission, vision and values.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Mows, weed eats, pulls weeds, applies mulch, prunes trees, and loads plant debris.
- Cleans and clears roads and pathways (e.g. snow removal, power washing, trash pick-up, backpack blowing).
- Operates tools and equipment (e.g. skid-steer, tractor, mower, street sweeper, Blowers, chainsaw, tiller, chipper, etc.).
- Provides quality customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Actively promote and contribute to the Oklahoma City Zoo’s sustainability initiatives and green practices.
- Communicates effectively with the Grounds Lead and Manager on the status of projects as they pertain to the assigned areas of grounds maintenance.
- Fosters constructive attitudes and team orientation among staff; positively communicates and collaborates with Zoo personnel and professional colleagues.
- Represents the zoo in a professional manner at all times.
- Creates an atmosphere of respect with peers and works as a team.
- Completes assigned tasks and meets deadlines.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays and during emergencies such as dictated by weather.
- Two years’ experience in or knowledge of formal landscape/grounds maintenance work or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check and a drug test.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received June 26, 2019.