Employment Status: Full-Time or Part-Time.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: Three (3) years customer service/customer relations work in retail, zoo, aquarium, museum, or amusement industry with one (2) years in a lead role. An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the duties of the job will be considered.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School diploma or G.E.D.
Department: Guest Experience.
Direct Supervisor: Guest Experience Manager.
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (x); Indirect (200) Varies depending on assignment.
Primary Work Location: Zoo setting both indoors and outdoors.
Certification: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test. Must obtain a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license (within thirty day of hire) and pass Driver’s History check.
Job Summary: Oversee supervisors, team leads, and part time staff within the Guest Experience department. This position helps provide a safe environment to Zoo guests and staff while offering good customer service and producing revenue to help support the Zoo.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Assist other Guest Experience Supervisors as well as Guest Experience Manager to provide supervision, coaching and corrective guidance for large team of Guest Experience members.
- Facilitate the selection of new personnel for assigned areas; manage staff performance, including performance evaluations; recommend performance-based increases and corrective action as needed.
- Train staff on customer service, selling guidelines, and expectations.
- Coach staff daily on operations, procedures, and customer service.
- Oversee operations in all Guest Experience locations including rentals, admissions, vending, Guest Services office, rides, and attractions.
- Ensure proper documentation of timecards, performance opportunities, training logs, and any other documentation associated with the assigned areas.
- Perform daily walk through of each location to ensure the area is fully stocked, clean, and organized.
- Coordinate with warehouse supervisor as needed.
- Assist in providing a safe environment for both guests and staff; teach and educate on safety procedures in each location.
- Work with Manager to maintain departmental records; maintain organized and accurate files.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Training, managing, and mentoring a large diverse team of employees.
- Scheduling a large part-time, seasonal, and temporary work force.
- Principles of customer service and guest relations.
- Policies, practices, and procedures of the Oklahoma City Zoo.
- Developing and enforcing the policies and procedures of the Guest Experience Department.
- Public speaking.
- Skillful interaction with the public to answer questions and resolve problems/issues.
- Creating and maintaining budgets.
- Computer software programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and time management.
- Retain and communicate a large and evolving list of Zoo's programs, activities, exhibits, and events.
- Practice and foster safe work methods, identifying workplace hazards, and using appropriate safety equipment.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
- Prioritize and delegate responsibilities when necessary.
- Creating spreadsheets, databases.
- Utilize Point of Sale/cash register programs – ideally Counterpoint.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays and during emergency situations such as dictated by weather.
- Required to walk, sit, and stand for periods of time.
- Push, lift, and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Bend, stoop, kneel, and move intermittently throughout the day.
- May be exposed to fumes, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions, such as heat, cold, rain, snow and ice.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous animals.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. Must be able to successfully complete an intense background investigation.
First consideration given by 10/09/2019.