The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is a fully accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the American Association of Museums. The Zoo cares for a diverse collection of plants and animals on a 120-acre campus. We enjoy strong community support and an annual attendance in excess of 1,000,000 guests. The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is financially strong, and is actively implementing an exciting master plan.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and progressive leader to join the horticulture team to install and maintain the gardens and animal area exhibit landscapes. This position helps maintain the Zoo’s plant collections, landscapes, and botanical garden. The ideal candidate must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels and possess excellent communication and organizational skills to function effectively in a team environment.
The starting pay for this position is $11.27 per hour.
The Horticulture Technician interacts with the public and enhances visitor experiences. Under the direct supervision of the Horticulture Curator, this position performs a variety of skilled/semi-skilled work required for the installation and maintenance of the garden and exhibit landscapes. This position has the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform all operational requirements in the assigned area.
- Mows, weed eats, pulls weeds, applies mulch, prunes trees, loads plant debris, fertilizes, over seeds, and waters plants and lawns.
- Plants trees, shrubs, annuals, and perennials.
- Operates light to heavy equipment used for maintenance, clean up, and minor/major hardscaping projects. Performs equipment inspection for fluid levels, leaks, condition of hoses and belts, tire pressure, lights, and all related areas.
- Cleans and cares for all tools and equipment needed for job assignments.
- Removes litter and debris from gardens, pathways, and grounds.
- Participates in snow removal operations and is available to work weekends and holidays as an on-call status for snow removal.
- Collaborates with other Zoo departments.
- High school diploma or GED
- 6 months landscape experience.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
The Oklahoma City Zoological Park & Botanical Garden offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Please send resume, and three professional references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2000 Remington Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email Humanresources@okczoo.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
First consideration given to resumes received by 11/18/2019