The HVAC Mechanic installs, maintains, and repairs commercial heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment/systems. This position maintains the proper operations, temperatures, and safety of commercial HVAC equipment/systems.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- Inspects, repairs, and performs preventive maintenance on commercial heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment/systems.
- Inspects, repairs, and maintains a variety of commercial food service/restaurant equipment, including refrigerators, freezers, deep fat fryers, ice cream machines, icemakers, and other specialized equipment.
- Orders/purchases parts/supplies needed for maintenance/repair work. Schedules replacement/repair work, with subcontractors.
- Maintains storage room of parts, tools, materials, and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the division and/or department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
(The list of knowledge, skills, and other characteristics are representative of the requirements to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- Knowledge of the procedures and practices for the installation, maintenance, and repair of a variety of commercial heating and air-conditioning equipment/systems, including boilers and chillers.
- Knowledge of the procedures and practices for the maintenance and repair of a variety of food service/restaurant equipment.
- Knowledge of local, State, and Federal regulations/standards regarding the installation, maintenance, and repair of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment/systems.
- Knowledge of the safety procedures and practices associated with HVAC maintenance work.
- Knowledge of the operation of a variety of computer software, including word processing applications.
- Knowledge of the policies, practices, and procedures of the Maintenance Services department (to be acquired within 30 days of hire).
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Oklahoma City Zoological Park (to be acquired within 60 days of hire).
- Skill in troubleshooting problems in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
- Skill in installing, maintaining, and repairing heating, ventilation, and air‐conditioning systems.
- Skill in troubleshooting problems in a variety of food service/restaurant equipment, including low temp walk ins and reach ins.
- Skill in maintaining and repairing a variety of food service/restaurant equipment.
- Skill in reading plans, blueprints, and technical drawings related to the installation, maintenance, and repair of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment/systems.
- Skill in understanding and following complex instructions and directions.
- Skill in operating and maintaining assigned hand and power tools and equipment.
- Skill in preparing a variety of records, reports, and correspondence using appropriate format and computer software.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Zoo staff, outside contractors, and the general public.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays.
- Ability to practice safe work methods, identifying workplace hazards, and using appropriate safety equipment.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to walk and stand for periods of time, and bend, climb, stoop, and kneel throughout the workday.
- Ability to push, lift, and carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Exposure to fumes, gases, odors, dust; vibration; chemical, electrical, and mechanical hazards; poor ventilation; moving mechanical parts; and vehicles on a daily basis.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate, with frequent increases in levels caused by machinery and equipment.
(To perform the job successfully, an individual must have the following minimum qualifications.)
- Experience equivalent to 5+ year’s full time commercial level work installing, maintaining, and/or repairing heating, ventilation, and/or air‐conditioning equipment/systems and refrigeration systems.
- Completion of a vocational/trade school course or recognized apprenticeship program in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
- Commercial Unlimited Mechanical (Contractor) license from the State of Oklahoma and the City of Oklahoma City in Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Gas Fitting preferred.
- Journeyman’s license required as well as obtain EPA 1 and 2 or EPA 3 (Universal) certification within 60 days.
- Must obtain Boiler Operator license within 6 months of hire.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre‐employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
First consideration given by July 8, 2019.