The Lead Building Specialist works closely with the Buildings and Grounds Manager in leading a crew in the management of Building and Grounds duties. This includes but is not limited to: Cleaning Buildings and Grounds (e.g. Restrooms, Offices, Breakrooms, Lobbies and picnic areas). Effective oversight of the daily operations of multiple assigned team members. This position demonstrates a strong ability to lead with an emphasis on the guest experience, helps maintain the appearance and safety of the Oklahoma City Zoo’s Buildings and grounds to support day-to-day operations, field conservation efforts, and operational conservation practices. These components include Building and Grounds cleaning, Restrooms, Picnic grounds, Litter, and minting trash receptacles. This position includes collaborating with other zoo personnel in the presentation of guest experiences in order to support and model the Zoo’s mission, vision, and values.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Assists Buildings and Grounds Manager in maintaining inventory, scheduling and overseeing team members.
- Schedule and oversee all zoo-sponsored events, Safari soiree, ZooBrew, Zoo Friends.
- Performs general housekeeping and grounds duties.
- Have a high level understanding of housekeeping and custodial techniques and equipment usage.
- Guides assigned team members throughout the day and ensures productivity.
- Performs a variety of general cleaning and sanitizing duties to maintain public restrooms, buildings, and grounds. (e.g. vacuuming/scrubbing floors, washing windows/equipment, dusting furniture, emptying trash containers, trash/litter pick up.)
- Hosing down ramps/patios, sanitizing restroom facilities, clearing pathways, sidewalks, parking lots, and drive ways.
- Operates tools and equipment (e.g. a variety of utility carts, pickup trucks).
- Performs various minor building maintenance/repair duties. (e.g. stripping, waxing, and buffing floors, carpet cleaning, changing light bulbs, and painting.)
- Provides quality customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Actively promote and contribute to the Oklahoma City Zoo’s sustainability initiatives and green practices.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing with the Grounds Manager on the status of projects as they pertain to the assigned areas of Buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Fosters constructive attitudes and team orientation among staff, positively communicates and collaborates with Zoo personnel and professional colleagues.
- Represents the zoo in a professional manner at all times.
- Creates an atmosphere of respect with peers and works as a team.
- Completes assigned tasks and meets deadlines.
- Ensures a safe work environment. Coordinates and supervises activities of interns and volunteers as required.
- Driving around the Oklahoma City area throughout the year.
- Exposure to fumes, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts and vehicles, on an occasional basis.
- Noise level is usually quiet to moderate, with occasional increases due to large groups of people in Zoo buildings and on ground.
- Exposure to external environmental conditions, such as heat, cold, rain, snow and ice.
- Exposure to potentially dangerous animals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays and during emergency situations such as dictated by weather.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of cleaning equipment and supplies used for cleaning work.
- Knowledge of general gas powered equipment, Power Washers, Vacuums, Power Sweepers, and Leaf Blowers.
- Knowledge of general building maintenance methods and practices, including painting, and floor stripping, and waxing.
- Knowledge of SDS and blood borne pathogens.
- Knowledge of the policies, practices, and procedures of the Housekeeping/ department (to be acquired within thirty days of hire).
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of the Oklahoma City Zoological Park (to be acquired within sixty days of hire).
- Skill in following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in cleaning and maintaining buildings, facilities, and exhibit areas to present a neat, clean, and pleasant appearance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with Zoo staff, vendors, and the general public.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings and/or weekends and holidays.
- Ability to practice safe work methods, identifying work place hazards, and using appropriate safety equipment.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for periods of time, bend, stoop, and kneel, and to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Ability to push, lift, and carry objects weighing 50 pounds.
- Exposure to fumes, odors, dust, cleaning/sanitizing chemical agents, electrical and mechanical hazards, moving mechanical parts, and vehicles on a daily basis.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate, with occasional increases in levels caused by machinery.
(To perform the job successfully, an individual must have the following minimum qualifications.)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience equivalent to three years’ full time Housekeeping/Custodial Duties.
- Experience equivalent to three years’ supervisory duties.
- OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed in this job description.
- Must possess a valid Oklahoma motor vehicle operator’s license and pass a Driver’s History check to operate Zoo vehicles.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, a physical examination, and a drug test.
This is your opportunity to be a part of a distinguished and advancing organization in a remarkable area. Please send cover letter, resume and references to: Human Resources Department, Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 N.E. 50th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Oklahoma City Zoo has a Smoke-Free Environment, is a Drug-Free Workplace, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posting closes end of business day on 6/12/2019.