Would you enjoy sharing your passion for wildlife and inspiring others by helping them learn through unique hands-on experiences? As a conservation guide, you can connect our guests to our animals and inspire them to help conserve wildlife.
Come to an Open House to learn more!
Our Conservation Guides will help our guests explore the Zoo by connecting them with biofacts, activities, or animal ambassadors. These volunteers have opportunities to help guests discover more about our Asian elephants, Oklahoma wildlife, how to help orangutans while shopping, and much more. Advanced conservation guides even have an opportunity to receive training to handle some of our education animal ambassadors for special animal encounters in our Children's Zoo or at events.
- Complete orientation and training.
- Commit to 60 hours of service with 3 special event shifts each year and attend quarterly continuing education sessions.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Pass a background check and drug screening.
- Purchase a uniform shirt. The cost is $15 (short-sleeved) or $20 (long sleeved) each.
- Ability to walk or self-transport to the appropriate station.
- Ability to stand or sit for periods of time of up to 4 hours.
- Hand dexterity and strength to handle objects up to 5lbs.
- Ability to tolerate reasonable weather conditions.
- Ability to independently understand and follow directions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good oral communication skills.