MARCH HAPPENINGS AT THE OKC ZOO
March 02, 2018
For media associated with this release, click here.
NOW – MARCH 31: OKC Zoo & Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest
The 14th annual Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest for Oklahoma students, K-12, continues through March 31. This year’s contest theme is “Year of the Bird: Celebrate our World’s Winged Wonders.” Participating students are eligible to win wild prizes, including a $300 gift card to an OKC Outlets store, and the chance to have their original art design on a Dr Pepper machine at the Zoo. Participants who submit a design on an official contest entry form will also be entered in a drawing to win $1,529 toward an Oklahoma 529 College Savings Plan (OCSP) account! The winner will be randomly drawn on Wednesday, April 11. Students may submit more than one contest design but their name will only be entered once to win the OCSP prize. Entries will be judged on creativity, meeting art specifications and relevance to the contest theme. Contest guidelines and entry forms are available at okczoo.org. All submissions must be postmarked by March 31. For more information, contact Candice Rennels at (405) 425-0298 or email@example.com .
OKC ZOO SPRING/SUMMER ATTRACTION SCHEDULE
Immerse yourself in the sights, sounds, smells and hands-on fun that these popular OKC Zoo attractions offer. All Zoo rides and attractions are operational weather permitting. No guarantee of the following schedules can be made and all are subject to change without notice.
- Centennial Choo Choo: All aboard! Open daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost is $3 per person. Children two and under free.
- Children’s Zoo Barn: Children and families will enjoy this outdoor, tactile experience with rare animal species. The collection includes miniature donkeys, Nigerian dwarf goats, Tunis sheep, rare rabbits and chickens. Open daily weather permitting from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Free to experience.
- Elephant Express: Daily rides offered from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with stops at four locations throughout the Zoo. All day bracelets are $6 per person. Children two and under free.
- Endangered Species Carousel: Open daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cost is $3 per person.
- Explorikeet Adventure: See flying rainbows (aka lorikeets)! Open daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Children’s Zoo (weather permitting). We close for a “bird break” from 1-1:30 p.m. $3 per person to feed.
- Giraffe Feeding Platform: Giraffe slobber is the best! Discover for yourself when you feed our gentle giants daily from 1 p.m. through 2 p.m. Cost is $5 per person.
- Sea Lion Presentations: Get ready for a splash of fun! Sea lion presentations at the Noble Aquatic Center are daily at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. through Sunday, March 4. Starting Monday, March 5, presentations will move to 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Cost is $4 per person. Children two and under are free.
- Stingray Bay: Catch the wave for a “touching” experience at Stingray Bay. Cost is $3 per person with paid Zoo admission. Children two and under are free. Stingray feedings are an additional $3 fee at noon. ZOOfriends’ memberships do not apply. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wild Encounters: Wild Encounters are unique, behind-the-scenes experiences that let you see Zoo animals in up-close ways you never have before! Daily interactions are available with grizzly bears, flamingos, sea lions, Galapagos tortoises, Asian elephants and rhinos. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Additional fees apply, ranging from $15 - $45 for members and $20 - $50 for nonmembers. Contact Guest Services at (405) 425-0262 for reservations.
VOLUNTEERS REQUESTED FOR OKC ZOO JUNGLE GYM RENOVATION
Join Junior League of Oklahoma City, ZOOfriends and the OKC Zoo as we embark on an expansion and renovation of the Jungle Gym at the Zoo, April 12 – 15, 2018. Volunteers are needed to help update and refresh the playground, as well expand its footprint to add new features and components. Families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, civic organizations and other groups are invited to join this volunteer blitz. To sign up, click here. For additional information, call (405) 401-2083 or email JungleGym@jloc.org.
NOW – MARCH 31: ZOOFRIENDS' SPRING DISCOUNT
Spring into savings! During the month of March, you can save $10 on a ZOOfriends’ membership. A membership provides unlimited admission to the Zoo for a year, a beautiful and safe recreational outlet, and opportunities to learn the importance of and participate in wildlife conservation. Offer valid online at zoofriends.org, by phone at (405) 425-0618 or in the ZOOfriends’ membership office.
DAILY KEEPER CONNECTIONS
Are you a fan of flamingos? Painted dogs or Red River hogs? Daily Keeper Connections help you connect with your favorite animals and the keepers who care for them. The OKC Zoo’s animal keepers are everyday conservationists, dedicated to protecting and preserving our planet’s wildlife and wild places. They have a wealth of information to share as they show off the Zoo’s amazing animals. Keeper Connection signs are posted throughout the Zoo. Schedules are available in Guest Relations and online at okczoo.org.
SARAFI SOIRÉE TICKETS AVAILABLE
Go wild for a great cause! Dine and dance under the stars at the Oklahoma Zoological Society's second annual Safari Soirée on Friday, April 27, 2018 from 7 p.m. – 11 p.m. and experience an evening of fabulous food, exotic drinks and unforgettable entertainment. Tickets are on sale now at zoofriends.org by phone at (405) 425-0618 or in the ZOOfriends’ membership office. Must be 21 or older.
MARCH: OKC ZOO’S EDUCATION PROGRAMS
For additional information about these and other programs, call Education at (405) 425-0218 or visit okczoo.org.
The OKC Zoo offers monthly opportunities for Boy and Girl Scouts and American Heritage Girls to learn about the natural world while achieving badges and meeting program requirements, electives. To learn more about these programs, click here.
THURSDAY, MARCH 8 & THURSDAY, MARCH 15: CUB CLUB TODDLER PROGRAM - DELIGHTFUL DONKEYS
Bring your little cub to the OKC Zoo’s Rosser Education Center on Thursday, March 8 or Thursday, March 15 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. as we learn about zoo animals through lessons, crafts, discovery stations, and/or guided zoo tours. Ages 2-5 years old. Cost per adult/child pair is $12 for members and $15 for non-members. For more information, call Education at (405) 425-0218 or click here.
FRIDAY, MARCH 16: THREE BEARS FAMILY OVERNIGHT
Nighttime at the OKC Zoo can be ‘beary’ interesting. Make a bear craft, use your bear senses during a guided night tour, and enjoy an evening snack. Bring bedding that is "just right" for sleeping in the Big Rivers building next to the Oklahoma Trails bear exhibit! Morning includes a light breakfast. Ages: 4 and up (parent must accompany child). Cost is $35 per child and $20 per adult. For more information, call Education at (405) 425-0218 or click here.
MONDAY, MARCH 19 THROUGH FRIDAY, MARCH 23: SPRING BREAK DAY CAMPS
Want a unique adventure for your child during spring break? Snacks provided, but campers must bring their lunch. Ages 4-11 welcome. Advanced registration and payment required. All campers are required to bring a copy of their immunizations. Camp runs 8:30 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. Drop-off at Education Center from 8-8:30 a.m. Cost per child per day is $45. For more information, call Education at (405) 425-0218 or click here.
SATURDAY, MARCH 17: ST. PATRICK’S DAY, ZOO STYLE
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the Zoo! Enjoy a scavenger hunt as we find animals that are green, practice being green, and develop a green thumb. Children ages four and up can join in the fun. The scavenger hunt is $12 for members and $15 for non-members. For more information, call Education at (405) 425-0218 or click here.
SECOND ANNUAL ZOO BLOOMS: SATURDAY, MARCH 17 THROUGH SUNDAY, APRIL 15
ZOO BLOOMS is the largest botanical event celebrated at the Zoo since our national accreditation as a botanical garden in 1998. It is Oklahoma’s largest tulip festival with floral beds stretching throughout 130 acres of the Zoo. ZOO BLOOMS a mix of over 100,000 tulips, daffodils, hyacinth and other species to create a spring blooming event that has significantly enhanced the natural landscape of the gardens. For 2018, the Zoo packed even more floral fireworks into guest-favorite spaces with additional seating options for the perfect family photo-ops.
SAVE THESE APRIL DATES:
4/03: Read Across Oklahoma, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
4/22: Earth Day & Party for the Planet, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Go wild and spring into fun this month at the Oklahoma City Zoo! Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, Oklahoma City’s Adventure District and an Adventure Road partner. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Regular admission is $11 for adults and $8 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Stay up-to-date with the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and by visiting Our Stories. Zoo fans can support the OKC Zoo by becoming Oklahoma Zoological Society members at ZOOfriends.org or in-person at the Zoo! To learn more about these and other happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.org.