OKC ZOO AND DR PEPPER ANNOUNCE WINNERS OF ANNUAL ART CONTEST
April 24, 2018
EDITOR’S NOTE: For pictures of each winner and their design, click here.
It is with great excitement that the Oklahoma City Zoo and Dr Pepper announce the winners of the 14th annual Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest. This spring, Oklahoma students in kindergarten through twelfth grade were invited to participate in the contest for a chance to have their artwork featured on a Dr Pepper machine at the OKC Zoo and win prizes from OKC Outlets and the Zoo. In addition, all contest participants were eligible to win $1,529 toward an Oklahoma 529 College Savings Plan account.
This year’s winning designs, including the Dr Pepper machine fronts for the two grand prize categories, were revealed at an award presentation on Sunday, April 22, 2018, during the Zoo’s Party for the Planet™ Earth Day celebration.
Talented students from all corners of the state submitted original creations for consideration. A total of 2,153 entries were received from students in 165 schools and home schools representing 76 Oklahoma towns/cities! Entries were judged based on creativity and relevance to the contest’s theme, “Year of the Bird: Celebrate our World’s Winged Wonders” and highlighting the importance of protecting our planet’s beloved birds and their habitats.
“As the popularity of this contest continues to grow, it is refreshing to see young Oklahomans take interest in global issues such as wildlife conservation and habitat preservation through a creative outlet,” said Candice Rennels, OKC Zoo director of public relations. “Together with Dr Pepper, we want to encourage next generations to be a voice for change and raise awareness for protecting our world’s vanishing wildlife and wild places.”
- Grand Prize (K-5): Jaydelyn Dobrinski, 1st grade, Arnett, Arnett Elementary School, Julie Thomas’s class.
- Grand Prize (6-12): Jade Simony Vieira Domingues, 12th grade, Oklahoma City, Midwest City High School, April Williams’s class.
Both Grand Prize recipients will receive a $300 gift card from an OKC Outlet store and a certificate. Their winning artwork will be the cover design on a Dr Pepper vending machine located on Zoo grounds.
- First Place (K-5): Sophie Buchanan, 1st grade, Newalla, Virginia Smith Elementary School, Brittney Snodgrass’s class.
- First Place (6-12): Hyebin Ryu, 10th grade, Ardmore, Plainview High School, Greg Dudley’s class.
Both First Place recipients will receive a ZOOfriends membership and a certificate.
Zoo Director’s Top Honor Roll Awards:
- AZA Choice Award: Fabian Ramirez, 9th grade, Guthrie, Guthrie High School, Lindsey Baker’s class.
- Animal Adventure: Kara Wardlaw, 1st grade, Stillwater, Richmond Elementary, Dawn Schrock’s class.
- Earth Day Champion: Madeline Fossett, 11th grade, Broken Arrow, Broken Arrow High School, Jennifer Brown and Jennifer Deal’s classes.
- Global Awareness: Channing Reames, 5th grade, Guthrie, Guthrie Upper Elementary School, Tammy Adams’s class.
- Wings Up for Conservation: Jaden Pebeahsy, 10th grade, Lawton, Elgin High School, Ruth Crittendon’s class.
- Join the Flock: Madeline Kendall, 8th grade, Blanchard, home school.
- Nature Navigator: Olivia Ramirez, 4th grade, Oklahoma City, Wayland Bonds Elementary School, Chelsea Graves’s class.
- Party for the Planet: Mae Caudle, 5th grade, Edmond, Deer Creek Intermediate School, Bonnie Gull’s class.
- Wonders of Wildlife: Iris Hernandez, 10th grade, Turpin, Turpin High School, Lynette Hill’s class.
- Zooper Hero: Connor Castleman, 7th grade, Idabel, Denison Middle School, Crystal Womack’s class.
- OKC Zoo Accolade: Julianna Cole, 2nd grade, Edmond, Deer Creek Elementary School, Mischa Gray’s class.
Honor Roll recipients will receive a certificate. All winners will have their design on display at the OKC Zoo and OKC Outlets.
- Oklahoma 529 College Savings Plan winner: Charli Lowery, 2nd grade, Yukon, Ranchwood Elementary, Mrs. Wilkening’s class.
Visit the Oklahoma City Zoo and be inspired to care, connect and conserve! Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, Oklahoma City’s Adventure District and an Adventure Road partner. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Buildings close at 4:45 p.m. daily. Guests must exit grounds at closing time. Regular admission is $11 for adults, and $8 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Stay in the “Zoo know” on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and by visiting Our Stories. To learn more about these and other happenings, call (405) 424-3344 or visit okczoo.org.