Are you a teen wanting to learn more about zoo or garden related careers while gaining life skills and hands-on experience for your résumé? Our Junior Curator Teen Volunteers are a specially selected group of students who assist our Zoo staff with their daily routines to gain a better understanding of careers and conservation.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are unable to accept new applications for the 2021-2022 Junior Curator season. Please be sure to check back in Spring 2022 for information about volunteer opportunities.
Our Junior Curator Teen Volunteers have an opportunity to work side-by-side with Zoo staff to explore a variety of careers within a zoo and botanical garden setting. Our Junior Curators (JCs) have an opportunity to assist Zoo staff with animal and plant care and assisting our Zoo guests at special events.
- Complete orientation and training.
- Commit to 110 hours of service in specific areas between Oct - Aug.
- Attend at least 5 monthly meetings.
- Must be 14-17 years old. (The deadline for the age range is August 1.)
- Applicants must complete an application form and be approved through an interview process.
- Pass a drug screening.
- Purchase a uniform shirt for $15.
- Provide proof of a negative TB test.
- Ability to independently understand and follow directions.
- Strong sensory skills, including eyesight and hearing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for up to four hour increments at a time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to independently push, lift, and carry objects weighing more than 10lbs.
- Hand dexterity to use kitchen knives and small tools.
- Ability to tolerate extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain a calm manner around animals.
- May be exposed to potential allergens, loud noise conditions, and strong odors.