Are you a teen wanting to learn more about zoo or garden related careers while gaining life skills and hands-on experience for your résumé? Our Junior Curator Teens are a specially selected group of students who assist our Zoo staff with their daily routines to gain a better understanding of careers and conservation.
The application period for the 2022-2023 program has passed. Please check back in March 2023 for information about the 2023-2024 program.
Our Junior Curators (JCs) have an opportunity to assist Zoo staff with animal and plant care and help educate our guests about conservation and wildlife.
- Complete orientation and training.
- Commit to 80 hours of service in specific areas between Oct - Aug.
- Attend at least 5 monthly meetings.
- Must be 14-17 years old. (The deadline for the age range is August 1.)
- Applicants must complete an application form and be approved through an interview process.
- Purchase a uniform shirt for $15.
- Provide proof of a negative TB test.
- Provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19.
- Adhere to masking policies for Zoo staff.
- Ability to independently understand and follow directions.
- Strong sensory skills, including eyesight and hearing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for up to four hour increments at a time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to independently push, lift, and carry objects weighing more than 10lbs.
- Hand dexterity to use kitchen knives and small tools.
- Ability to tolerate extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain a calm manner around animals.
- May be exposed to potential allergens, loud noise conditions, and strong odors.
- Click here for the Frequently Asked Questions about our Junior Curator program.
- The OKC Zoo is not designated as a 501(c)(3).
- Please contact email@example.com with any additional questions.