Are you a teen wanting to learn more about zoo or garden related careers while gaining life skills and hands-on experience for your résumé? Our Junior Curator Teens are a specially selected group of students who assist our Zoo staff with their daily routines to gain a better understanding of careers and conservation.
The 2023-2024 application deadline has passed.
Applications for the 2024-2025 year will be available in April 2024.
Our Junior Curators (JCs) have an opportunity to assist Zoo staff with animal and plant care and help educate our guests about conservation and wildlife.
- Complete orientation and training.
- Commit to at least 100 hours of service in specific areas between Oct 2023 – Aug 2024.
- Attend at least 5 monthly meetings.
- Must be 14-17 years old. (The deadline for the age range is August 1.)
- Applicants must complete an application form and be approved through an interview process.
- Purchase a uniform shirt for $15.
- Provide proof of a negative TB test.
- Provide proof of full vaccination for COVID-19.
- Adhere to masking policies for Zoo staff.
- Ability to independently understand and follow directions.
- Strong sensory skills, including eyesight and hearing.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit for up to four hour increments at a time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, and kneel.
- Ability to independently push, lift, and carry objects weighing more than 10lbs.
- Hand dexterity to use kitchen knives and small tools.
- Ability to tolerate extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to maintain a calm manner around animals.
- May be exposed to potential allergens, loud noise conditions, and strong odors.
- Click here for the Frequently Asked Questions about our Junior Curator program.
- The OKC Zoo is not designated as a 501(c)(3).
- Please contact email@example.com with any additional questions.